Four fire engines and around 25 firefighters were called to a house fire on Rochester Road in Hornchurch yesterday.
Part of the ground floor and part of the fascia of an end-of-terrace house was damaged by fire. A conservatory at the rear of the property was destroyed by the blaze. Four people left the building before the Brigade arrived. There were no reports of any injuries.
The Brigade’s 999 Control Officers took 25 calls to the fire.
The fire is believed to have been caused by wind blowing flames from a barbecue into a house.
A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “On arrival crews were faced with flames spreading inside the house and up the external side of the building from the barbecue in the garden.
“If you’re having a barbecue, it’s vital that you place them on level ground, far away from anything that could catch fire, like sheds, fences or trees and out of the reach of children or pets. Make sure you keep them outdoors and never barbecue on a balcony.
Firefighters’ tips for barbecuing safe
- Never use a BBQ – including disposables – indoors or on your balcony.
- Be careful where you position your BBQ – we suggest on level ground, well away from anything flammable like sheds, fences, trees, or tents.
- Don’t use petrol, paraffin, or any flammable liquids on your BBQ – firelighters are a much safer option.
- Avoid having barbecues in parks, public spaces, and balconies.
- Never leave barbecues unattended and extinguish them properly after you have finished using them.
- Disposable barbecues that have been discarded and abandoned can still end up causing a fire as they will continue to retain heat after use – they need to be put right out and cooled before being thrown away.
- Carefully supervise children and pets.
The Brigade was called at 1804 and the fire was under control by 1853. Fire crews from Hornchurch, Dagenham, Wennington and Romford fire stations attended the scene.