As work begins at the restoration of the Upminster Windmill and building of the new visitor’s center, Havering have released a video of what the site will look like when work is completed in 2018:
The project was given the go ahead in 2014 when the London Borough of Havering and the Friends of Upminster Windmill received a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund. Funding was also obtained from the Veolia North Thames Trust and the Architectural Heritage Fund, to restore the windmill and provide an education and training centre.
The Visitor Centre, designed by Rees Bolter Architects, will be a place where visitors, and especially school groups, can learn the history of milling and the story of the Mill. The Visitor Centre will also house a museum of exhibits, photographs and digital interpretation.
Councillor Melvin Wallace, Cabinet Member for Culture and Community Engagement, stressed the need for work on the Grade II listed windmill, originally built in 1803 by local farmer James Nokes, saying:
“The structure of the Mill has weakened over time and it is essential that this is remedied. The first task is likely to be the removal by crane of the entire top of the Mill. The cap, sails and fantail will be taken away for repair in a specialist workshop. Shortly afterwards the external gallery will be removed and scaffolding will be erected to allow for structural repairs. The aim will be to re-use as much of the original timber as possible to ensure the overall ambience of the historic fabric is maintained. The restoration is expected to take around two years.”
You can follow the progress of the restoration of the windmill on the, Upminster Windmill website, Havering website, subscribe for regular updates from HornchurchLife and there will be a community update at Upminster Library on Friday 15th April at 11-12am, further details here